Repair vs Replace
When Should You Repair Your Unit?
When to replace it ?
When a part malfunctions or your unit stops working, what you do? To help you decide, you should consider some factors.
Reasons to repair the unit:
- The cost of repairs is less than 1/3 the cost of a replacement
- The unit is less than 15 years old
- The unit is still under warranty
When an older unit has continuous issues or shows signs of reduced energy efficiency, it could be more economical to upgrade your system. If your furnace after 17 years have the first intervention at high cost (blower motor can go up to $600) probably soon (after 1, 2 year ) you will have the second intervention with the same cost. In this situation is better to think for a new furnace . 92% gas furnace can cost you around $3000.
Reasons for replacing your unit:
- The system is more than 17 years old
- The cost of repairs is near 40% of the cost of a replacement
- The unit requires frequent repairs.
- Warranty expirations